SWEET PICKLED GHERKINS
Gherkins ...I don't weigh I just pickle whole. Slice lenghways or sideways depending on size of gherkin.
1 litre of white wine vinegar (any other is to tart)
1 tbsp mustard seeds
2 tsp celery salt
2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp ground mace (optional)
2 cinnamon stick
1 tsp corriander seed
I also added a few dried whole chillies to mine to give a sweet/ spicy kick ( but it's hot!!)
1. Salt the gherkins overnight ..then chop slice or leave whole acorrding to size and preference.
2. Pack gherkins into sterilized jars.
3. Put vinegar and sugar into a heavy bottomed saucepan and begin to boil....stiring frequently.
4. Stir in the spices and return to boil...simmer for ten mins or until sugar has dissolved...remove cinnamon sticks.
5. Pour vinegar into sterilized jars - up to you if you strain or not (I prefer not to).