HOT AND SPICEY PICKLED ONIONS
Basic quanties per batch given but I always make a lot more due to popularity!
2.5kg pickling onions
1 ltr of malt vinegar
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tsp celery salt
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
5 cardoman pods
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 fresh or dried chilli per jar ( half a red and green looks good if using fresh)
1. Top and tail onions and sprinkle over salt and leave over night
2. Pack the onions into sterilized jars with the chilli
3. Add vinegar to a heavy bottom pan and all the spices and bay leaves
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins and remove bay leaves
5. You can either strain the mixture or add to whole mixture to the onions ( depends how spicy you like them).
6. Seal immediately and leave to cool.