GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY
Makes around 3kg
2.5kg of green tomatoes( I have added a few red if short of green ones)
1 tbsp salt
500g cooking apples
500g muscavado sugar
1 ltr of spiced pickling vinegar
1. Chop tomatos(skin if you prefer ,but I don't bother) and finely chop onions and sprinkle with salt
overnight ....do not rinse the following day!
2. Chop sultanas if you prefer and peel, core and roughly chop apples.
3. In a large heavy bottomed pan add sugar and vinegar, bring to boil, stiring until all the sugar
4. Add sultanas, apple and simmer for 10 mins.
5. Strain any juice from the tomatoes and onions and add to vinegar....return to boil and simmer
stirring occassionally for approx 1hr until the liquid has reduced significantly and fruit is
soft ....some liquid may need straining off if not evporated/absorbed fully.
6. Put mixture into sterilised jars and seal immediately.